December 08, 2016
Now hiring a Program Coordinator
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Req #: 27933BR
Location: Tempe Campus
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Center for Evolution & Medicine
The Center for Evolution & Medicine is seeking a creative, organized and skilled individual to work under general supervision and take on responsibility for communications and event planning in a team-oriented, highly motivated, small, but fast-paced, environment.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director, this person will take a lead role in managing the Center’s communications and events. The person filling this position will produce press releases and feature articles about the Center and the research it supports. The Coordinator also oversees the Center's website, helping identify information needs and developing content to fill these needs, ensuring timely posting of news and events, and ensuring continuous improvement of the Institute's e-strategies. The program coordinator will aid in planning, developing, and disseminating high-quality creative communication materials to highlight the work of the Center including: emails, brochures, fliers, slides, presentations, newsletters, web pages and web-based communications, creation of collateral to include the annual report Additionally, this person will take responsibility for the coordination of meeting and event logistics, identifying appropriate venues, overseeing necessary audio/visual technical details, organizing visiting scholars’ travel, accommodations and schedules, ordering and contracting with caterers.
This position requires professionalism when representing the Center and providing assistance to faculty, staff, students and the larger community. The program coordinator will interact and liaison with faculty, staff, students, community members and outside agencies in facilitating the work of the Center and will represent CEM on various university committees. Some basic reporting, data compilation and project management is required. Due to constant technological and procedural innovations across campus, the coordinator also must be adept at using various online applications on a daily basis, and adapt quickly to new demands. The program coordinator will schedule and supervise student workers, serve as the first point of contact for the office, and work independently on projects.
Some general clerical functions and some non-routine duties are also assigned to this position as needed. Orientation and specialized training will be provided, although candidates who exhibit initiative will stand out.
DAYS AND SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-5:00PM, events on evenings and weekends may require a flexible schedule.
Bachelor's degree in field appropriate to area of assignment AND two years administrative/coordinator program experience; OR, Six years of progressively responsible administrative/coordinator program experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Must have skill in journalistic writing and/or writing for the web; interest in science writing is preferred with a background or interest in the biological or health sciences. Experience in: publicity/public relations; event coordination; supervising; project management; Microsoft Office Applications (i.e.; Word, Excel, Outlook), InDesign and/or Photoshop. Excellent oral and written communication skills; familiarity with office procedures and equipment; experience with web publishing software packages such as Drupal; familiarity with e-mail marketing clients such as ExactTarget; motivated; self-starter.
- May coordinate, monitor or supervise the activities of subordinates.
- Develops and recommends new or revised program goals and objectives.
- Develops and schedules program work plan in accordance with specifications and funding limitations; oversees daily operations and coordinates activities of program; determines priorities.
- Monitors and approves program expenditures ensuring that budget allocations are not overspent.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of proposal for funding and/or funding continuation from outside sponsors.
- Confers with and advises staff, students and others to provide technical advice, problem solving assistance, answers to questions and program goals and policy interpretation; refers to appropriate department person when unable to respond.
- Coordinates activities of program with inter-related activities of other programs, departments or staff to ensure optimum efficiency and compliance with appropriate policies, procedures and specifications.
- Prepares periodic reports, financial statements and records on program activities, progress, status or other special reports for management or outside agencies.
- Evaluates program effectiveness to develop improved methods; devises evaluation methodology and implements; analyzes results and recommends and/or takes appropriate action.
- Reviews applications or other program documents independently or in conjunction with supervisor to determine acceptance or make decisions pertaining to program.
- Recruits program participants, members and volunteers utilizing most appropriate promotional or marketing methods, such as individual letters, brochures or presentations at meetings.
- Develops, compiles, and writes communications and promotional literature for distribution such as newsletters, brochures or flyers; coordinates process from development through printing and distribution.
- Develops and facilitates workshops, meetings or conferences; coordinates logistics, scheduling and participant communications.
- Interacts and maintains liaison with students, faculty, staff and outside/community agencies in facilitating program objectives.
*Apply online through the ASU job portal with Req ID: 27933BR
Thursday, December 8, 2016